Tuesday, February 3, 2015

First Post of 2015!

Well, better late than never.  I do realize we're about 34 days past January 1.  I'll do better, starting today.  :o)

Since it's a new year, let me start with what's new.  First, the kids are growing and changing so much right now!  Desmond now has a handful of words he can spell, read and type, and he has really branched out at school this year.  He has forged some cool new friendships and strengthened his existing ones.


Desmond is also starting swim lessons this month.  This will take him well outside of his comfort zone, and I'm hoping he'll rise to the occasion and overcome his fear of the water.

He is getting more and more into art, and I find that the artwork piles up faster than I know what to do with it.  (If you want some art mailed to you, say the word!)  The pic below is something he made for G'pa John.  Desmond's current specialty is mixed media.  His process was this: He typed something on the computer, printed it, stamped our return address on it, cut out a piece of it and glued it back onto itself, punched out a few shapes at the bottom, and then glued some pom poms onto it. Oh, and somewhere in all that he added some glitter glue.  He has a pretty elaborate art tray that he uses for all his pieces lately.


Desmond is also liking soccer a lot lately.  He can dribble a little bit and has a pretty good kick.  This was him last month balancing on top of the ball.


Here is Desmond being one of the guys during Super Bowl weekend.


And now for Molly...


She's adorable; we all know that.  But this kid is also turning into a good helper at clean-up time, is her brother's absolute best friend, and can hold a conversation with the best of 'em.  She has so many things to say, and I'm always amazed at the words she can string together to complete her thoughts.  This weekend it was, "Uncle Matthew, are you riding in our car with us?"  A couple weeks ago her phrase was "I assume," which sounded like "I'soom."  Everything was, "I'soom I'm a big girl," or "I'soom I can have some dinner now."  I think she's learned a lot trying to keep up with Desmond.

As for myself, I have taken a part-time job!  I've started working as a community representative for Ayusa, a non-profit that places high school foreign exchange students.  It's something I can do in my own time on my own schedule, and they were willing to start me out with a very low goal for my first year since the kids are still my top priority.  I'm hoping I'll like it so much that it will be something I can grow over time as the kids both get into school and I have more time.

That being said, this is my official call for referrals!  If you know someone who is interested in hosting an exchange student, please let me know.  I can place students here in my area, or if you're farther away, I can make a referral.  I can also do referrals for AuPair placements, so please keep all of this in mind when you're talking to people!

Joe is excited that his application to Mars One was accepted, and he will be part of the first human settlement on Mars.  Nah, just kidding.  But that was better than just saying there's nothing new with him, now wasn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Love the Mars settlement thing. Actually wouldn't put it past him. Can't wait to see them again.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed you guys for the Superbowl. Kate and I will be planning a trip down there in the near future (maybe a month or so). I'll keep you updated!! Go hawks!!!

    -Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Love, Aunt Helen

    ReplyDelete

Happy Holidays!

The Vasiceks had a wonderful Christmas break!  Let me tell you some of the highlights... Desmond is playing basketball this year.  It'...